Located adjacent to and above Lighthouse Beach in Evanston, Illinois, between several other publicly-owned parcels, the Harley Lyman Clarke House, or Harley Clarke Mansion, its accessory structures, and the property's grounds are all situated within the Northeast Evanston Historic District and are part of the Lighthouse Landing campus of public properties east of the juncture of Central Street and historic Sheridan Road in north Evanston. These properties are situated atop the point of land, jutting into Lake Michigan, that early French explorers called Grosse Point. Historical account has this site as where Father Jacques Marquette landed in 1674. As trade developed, numerous shipwrecks occurred and an important, early lighthouse, the Grosse Point Light, was built in 1873. Today, the lakefront complex includes the lighthouse, keeper's house, fog houses, the Harley Clarke house and grounds, and parklands including Noah’s Playground for All and the public Lighthouse Beach. The lighthouse, supported in recent years by a not-for-profit, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976 and made a National Historic Landmark in 1998.
The historic Harley Clarke House, designed in the French Eclectic style by Richard Powers, is situated on nearly 5 acres of beachfront property and originally featured gardens by pioneering landscape architect Jens Jensen. The house and coachhouse were listed as contributing structures in the application to the National Park Service designating the historic district.
Harley L. Clarke was a powerful utilities magnate serving as President for Utilities Power and Light in the years leading up to the Great Depression, once donating $300,000 to form the Chicago Civic Shakespeare Society. Clarke, who had lived on Chase Avenue in Rogers Park, hired Powers to design his three-story, brick lakefront home in Evanston, which was completed in 1927 at 2603 Sheridan Road, directly next to the historic Grosse Point Light Station and its foghouses. The 37,700-square-foot estate featured a spacious glass conservatory, ballroom, basement rumpus room, and coach house. It was probably the last of the 1920s big mansions in Evanston before the stock market crashed.
Renowned landscape architect Jens Jensen designed the grounds, which still feature his original limestone grottoes, a council ring (fire pit), and walkway. Alfred Caldwell, creator of the Chicago Lily Pool, worked under Jensen during construction of the Clarke project and referred to that time as one of his fondest memories. The mansion, valued at $500,000 in 1938, was the first in the Chicago area to win an art commission award, according to news articles.
At one time, Clarke’s fortune was estimated at up to $60 million. An undated glossy real estate brochure, presumably from the 1940s, states that motion picture equipment was housed on the mansion's third floor. Clarke was cutting edge in the film industry and was more than just a hobbyist. He created a state of the art media room in the ballroom after investing heavily in Fox Studios, and served as the president of Fox Studios after buying out founder William Fox during the Depression, and also owned the General Theatre chain.
Sadly, Clarke and his wife were victims of the Great Depression and after a long struggle with creditors, were forced to sell the property in 1949 to the Sigma Chi fraternity to be used as their national headquarters.
In 1964 a group of visionaries working on Evanston’s City Council purchased the property and beachfront from the fraternity, stating the importance of creating a public park and beachfront for the community. Shortly after the purchase, the city leased the Harley Clarke House to the Evanston Art Center for $1.00 per year with the intention of promoting art and culture on a broad spectrum for the benefit of the entire Evanston Community. For over 50 years, the Harley Clarke House served the Evanston Art Center, working as a cultural destination for residents of all ages.
Today, the mansion and surrounding gardens are the keystone of the four-part lakefront complex, which includes: Noah’s Playground for All, Lighthouse Beach, the Grosse Point Lighthouse and the mansion. With the Evanston Art Center having relocated to a newer, more centrally located facility in 2015, the Harley Clarke House is currently vacant and in need of repair, restoration and a new vision. As stewards of a new vision, it's time for us to act, to contribute, and to revitalize this unique space. Make history with us. Help create Evanston Lakehouse & Gardens.